Saturday, July 5, 2014

DIY Custom Monogram

A couple of months ago I had the pleasure of developing a Monograms and Mimosas Bridal Shower. I wanted the Bride-to-be new Monogram to hang over the dessert table, but I had to stay within the Hostesses Budget. So ordering one was not an option. On to the DIY. 

So here is what you need:

  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam Paint Brush
  • Glitter(how many colors depends on the look you want). I used 5 (very colorful shower) colors for a ombre look
  • White paint(any craft paint for wood)
  • Wooden/Cardboard letters (Small Purchased at Hobby Lobby Large Purchased at Michael's)
  • Fishing wire for hanging
  • 3M Hanging Solution 

1. I started first with the letters that I got from Hobby Lobby. I wanted to make sure that the glitter showed very well, so I painted them white. As you can see, one coat was not enough so two coats did the job.
 I did all three letters separately.  If I had to do it again, I would have hot glued the letters together first in order to make sure the ombre look was cohesive between all three. It worked out in the end, but would have been so much easier (trail and error)!

2. Spread Mod Podge on with your foam paint brush approximately 3-4 inches Stripe (because I had more colors).
3.  Began Glittering. I went from the bottom up Starting with the Darkest color first.  It was easier for me that way. Some began from the top down beginning with the lightest color first. Whichever way works for you.
4. Repeat Step 2 and 3( Paint another 3-4 inches stripe above your darkest color and sprinkle on a mixture of your next color and the one prior).


 After you have finish Glittering. Let dry for 24 hours. 
My letters came with hooks so the hanging was pretty simple. Just attach the fishing wire and hang with  the Command 3m hanging system. This is a very heavy structure, so be sure it is secure. 

1 comment:

  1. The Monogram letters hanging over the dessert table was beautiful! What a great DIY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails